Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Playing With Royal Icing

I have a few cakes to make - yayyy!!!  For my neighbors :)   It will give me great practice!

Ok - one is a "horse coming out of a hay bale" - I  have yet to start it, but I do have a  very nice sketch done.  You better believe I will keep you posted on that one!  I plan on doing a square cake and covering it in maybe a yellow/lt. brown tip 233 grass tip.  I"ve decided to use chocolate fondant formed over rice krispy treats for the horse.  But I will get back to that in a few days!

Today I went to the airport to work a beautiful 2 day trip with a 24  hr. layover in LA only to have it cancel.  So I had to spend my afternoon doing something having to do with cake when I got home!   Why not play with royal icing?


My 2nd cake request is for a girl's 1st Birthday.  My only instructions were, "1/2 chocolate, 1/2 vanilla cake".  Ok..... that leaves a lot open!  I plan to bake the cakes separately and put them together.  I find that my chocolate cakes are always done sooner, so I don't think I will attempt baking them in the same pan.  Now what should I do for decorations?  How about pink and purple butterflies?  Here is what I came up with:
As I was looking for a butterfly to trace (rather than free hand, of course), I realized there was one right on my coffee table :)  These coasters from Pier 1 were perfect!  I taped a piece of wax paper over them and traced the butterfly with icing.  I outlined with "violet" royal icing and filled in the butterflies with "rose petal" icing slightly thinned out.  And there you have it!  Do you think they will work?  Any other ideas for a 1st Birthday cake?  Oh, forgot - has to serve at least 30!

As they started to dry, I filled in with some random designs of my own :)  


I will update you on more of the 2 cakes.... including the HORSE!  I also just ordered some "dummie" cakes - I have to keep practicing!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!