Monday, April 23, 2012

Amanda Oakleaf's Buttercream Basics Class

ok... so I just got back from Amanda Oakleaf's in Winthrop, MA (www.oakleafcakes.com)  I got a Groupon for a decorating class and decided to use it before I headed to the Wilton School.  The class was "Buttercream Basics" and my friend Kim joined me. (oh, and Kim signed up to go to the Wilton School with me, too - yayy!!!)  We grabbed some dinner before class and the restaurant we went to didn't serve wine. (really???)  I think a glass or 2 would have helped my decorating :)  The class was 3 hrs. long.  We learned how to torte a cake and "crumb coat" it.  We learned how to make an AMAZING Italian Buttercream that they use on all their cakes.  We each did a small, 3-layer cake.  I think the hardest part was getting the buttercream smooth and even.  I am going to include a pic - I did take the pic when I got home - The frosting kinda got stuck to the box from the car ride.(excuses)   But I was happy with my color combos and my roses weren't too bad!  I am sharing this pic to display the beautiful buttercream frosting!  (please don't critique my decorating.......yet) And of course I had to TASTE it before I even took a pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!