Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 1 ~ Wilton Master Course

I survived day 1 of cake decorating - and I will have to say it was AMAZING!  I'm having such a great time and learning so much.  Definitely "exhausting", but soo worth it!


Class started at 7 am and I didn't get out until 6:45 pm.  I signed up for a 2nd class (Gum Paste) from 3:30 - 6:30 on Mon. - Thurs. this week - why not?  I'm already out here, so I might as well take advantage of as much learning as I can!  :)


The class is a great size - 14 students.  Very happy about this considering the max size is 24 students.  (I might need the extra 1-on-1 attention)  There are students not only from the US, but India, Nigeria, Korea, and Mexico.  (and I'm complaining about a 1 hr. time change and getting up early?!)  Darlene, get over it!!!  


Today we learned some of the basics in decorating: the star, rosette, vine, and leaf.  We each get our own station with everything we need - from tips to bags to even the Kitchenaide Mixer (we don't get to take the mixer home with us - darn!)  Here is my pic from practicing the techniques.  I think it's ok for day 1, right?   Things can only get better!  




By Fri. we have to come up with a design for a 3-tier wedding cake.   I'm not sure how that's going to fit into my 12 hr. days in class, but hopefully I will be able to dream up some great ideas!  So many things to decide.  The  only thing I have come up with so far is the fact I want to do "squares".   I've got a long way to go!  Here are some pics of some cakes done by students who have completed this course:

Gives me HOPE!


Well, off to bed .... 5:30 am is going to come early and I have to set up the coffee maker.  Wish me luck tomorrow!  I will keep you posted and hopefully I"ll have some more info on my wedding cake idea!

4 comments:

  1. So cool already Darlene...just make a square wedding cake with the design you practiced today and I'd be impressed! Sounds like so much fun. And just jam that kitchen aid in your bag on the way out of town...no one has to know. ~ Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, you're the best! :) I'm working on the mixer... there's got to be a way.... they want us to take our final cake home and I"m all about the KitchenAide and weather or not it will fit "underneath the seat in front of me" on the plane :)

      Delete
  2. Great job Darlene! I am just catching up on your blog. You have already done so much. The Winthrop class and now Day 1, your decorating is awesome already. I can only imagine how fantastic you'll be by the end of the week. I hope you and Kim are having lots of fun. I know you don't like early mornings so treat yourself to some Cafe Mochas or Lattes on the trip!

    PS I love KitchenAid Mixers too. I dream of having one as well!

    Have fun,

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy! Kim and I are having so much fun! The days are extremely long, but it will be well worth it! The huge coffee maker in the room is "key" to survival :) I'll share some more pics! (even the bad ones)

      Delete

Would love to hear from you!