Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 5 ~ Wilton Master Course

I survived the first week of cake decorating bootcamp!  Woohoo!!!  I cannot wait to get some sleep tonight!  I was going to take a complete break from it all this weekend but I found myself packing up icing in my bag and thinking I might be practicing roses and petunias this weekend - we'll see! (need my entire wedding cake design by Mon. - ahhhh!) 


Today was a rough day.  We iced our 3-tiered cakes.  That was more difficult than I thought.(I am going to have to completely cover my cake in a basket weave pattern or something to cover up all my lines/bubbles)  I had planned on doing 1 layer in a pastel lime green color but I'm so glad I didn't work with colors today - frosting the layers took me so long I only had  a 10 min. lunch break!  (not so good....long day to be hungry = crabby)

We worked on Lilies, Roses and Petunias.  I am enjoying the petunias (might have to put them on my project)  Need a bit of work, but here are a few pics from the day:






As you can see I used only "white" icing today.   No time for pretty colors for me (I'm in class with pastry chefs and present cake decorators - just trying to hang)!  I am optimistic about my roses getting better.  I promise I will post a better looking rose next week!

 I think I mentioned the first day the class was on the smaller side with 14 students.  The tables are set up for 4 students per table.   All 3 of the other students at my table are "left-handed" - ok, what are the odds in that?  I can't copy anyone being right-handed!  It's just not fair!  :)  (that's my excuse every day if I can't come up with another one)

You may not hear from me this weekend. I hope to make it out of bed for my free breakfast tomorrow morning.  I also think I need to do some sort of physical activity... a run or something?  I just can't sit these long days!  No, I am not going into Chicago to see the city or anything like that.  I'll be lucky to make it to Target 25 yds away to get groceries!

If anything exciting comes up, I will definitely share it!  Have a great weekend!!!












2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job. Can't believe you are in there with legit pastry chefs etc. You are probably making them proud. Once I took a flower arranging course for fun. I was so bad at it but I loved it. Midway through class the instructor came over and said "You are doing this just for fun right...not planning on opening a business?". I could see the relief on her face when I confirmed that is was purely for fun. From then on she let me do whatever I wanted. I loved it though still!! ~ Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky! Oh, yes, I'm probably one of the "least" experienced here. The girl who sits directly across from me works as a cake decorator for 2 bakeries and has done wedding cakes. The pastry chef went to the French Culinary Inst. here in Chicago. You wonder why I brought icing home from class to practice in my hotel room this weekend??? The instructor said my Lilies were too "skinny" and my roses were too "flat". That's just terrible about your flower arranging!!! I would have cried! :) I need my wedding cake design sketch by Mon. I need to buck up!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!