Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 8 ~ Wilton Master Course

Today was  a good day!  I had a lot of fun decorating the "sampler" cake.  We divided our cakes for this project into 8ths, and for each section we had to do specific techniques on all of the top, sides, and bottom of each section.(fyi: cakes are made of styrofoam - not an easy task to frost - that's my excuse for the bumpy layer of base coat frosting)  It was a great review of putting together everything we've learned.  I actually think it came out ok  :)


Here are some pics of my day:
                              (above: zigzags w/ lattice, ruffles with zigzags and a reverse shell)
                                (above:  Colonial Scroll on the side with rosettes on the bottom)
 (above:  shell border (bit lacking) with fence post and double overlapping string and drop flowers - craziness - hoping I don't have to do that one again!)
                                         (above: puff border with drop flowers in between)
                                    (think my rope border above was the best thing on the cake - not the ruffle on the  side, though - my strings aren't even)
                                               (clusters of rosebuds and sweet peas above)
 (top in middle flowers: petunias, a lily, pansy, daisies, carnations, 1/2 carnation, wild rose, rosebuds and drop flowers)
  




The top of the cake was any kind of arrangement of flowers that we made over the past week. (I had about 20 roses but didn't seem to feel liking including them)  The heart was a "color flow" example that we did - my icing was  a bit on the thin side, but now I know - I"ll get it right next time. :)  The heart in the middle is my dog, "Kota's" name (there is no way I could fit more than 4 letter's in that heart with my handwriting!) 


So there it is!  What do you think?  Tomorrow we put together our wedding cakes - woohoo!  No idea what to expect with that ~   Keep your fingers crossed for me.  I will try to get pics of my classmates cakes so you can see all of the amazing talent in that room!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously Darlene, you are really good at this! I had to call Mike into the room to look at the "Kota" cake. I can't believe all you have learned in this short time.

    I am sure you miss home but I definitely think your time has been well invested. You are ready to go into business.

    I can't wait to see your wedding cake!

    Have fun,

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! The rope border is my favorite and from here the shells look pretty darn good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Julie!!! I like the rope border - I can do that one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!